domingo, 18 de octubre de 2009

VAMMMOOOOOO PEPE!

I will admit I have never really been into politics. It's just not my thing. Am I wrong? It is, or rather, should it be, EVERYONE'S thing? I research the candidates/proposals enough to make an informed decision and basta/enough...I make it.

In Uruguay la gente/the people don't think that way...they are not just "voters" or normal everyday citizens who make a private decision and cast their vote on election day, they are FANATICS. Maybe it is because Uruguay is a small country and they feel more connected to political decisions and leadership, maybe it has something to do with the fact that voting is obligatory for every citizen over the age of 18...whatever the reason uruguayans are more passionate about their political stances than I have ever observed/read about in other countries.

For weeks now I have heard at all hours of the day the campaign songs for the three main political parties being blared on the streets, nearly every car has a flag taped in the window (or flying out the side of the window), faces are painted, everyone aged 2-89 is dressed in the colors of their chosen political party...and the list goes on. I am not kidding. EN SERIO. I think if the political party mascots in Uruguay were a donkey and elephant there would be donkeys and elephants tramping around the capital right this moment (without a doubt painted (with animal-safe paint, of course) and displaying banners). Who knows, maybe they would even be trained to sing the campaign songs?

Buenooo, sticking to the theme of "politics" this evening I headed to the rambla with my house sister Luciana and her novio Rodrigo. (The rambla is like the promenade, the boardwalk that borders el río de la plata...only 5 blocks from my house). There was a HUGE parade for Frente Amplio (my choice party...AND the party that is favored to win the election next Sunday). Being the last parade before elections and with the rumor that the candidate himself would make an appearance the street and the entire beach area was PACKED, llenooooo de gente. Singing, chanting, marching....people passed in cars, motos, bikes, in strollers, on leashes (dogs that is)....and everyone seemed so caught in the moment, displaying so much hope for their country -- a hope that for them lies in the election of Pepe Mujica (the candidate for Frente Amplio).

After checking out the parade for a bit, we finally got a chance to cross the street where the parade was taking place. We walked for a bit along the rambla. After about 30 minutes we decided to get in line to buy tortas fritas (kind of like elephant ears). The line was pretty long and we waited for about 15 minutes (well worth the wait, plus, they only cost 10 pesos which is like 30 cents....). When we were just about to the front we heard some screaming nearby "PEPE, PEPE" and a group congregating. I said "be right back..." and ran over to the now growing group. And there he was. Presidential candidate (and I believe soon-to-be president) Pepe Mujica. I was literally walking right next to him and snapped a shot of his funny little head. Everyone above on the street of the parade was patiently awaiting his arrival and here he was, right next to me...mingling with the people on the street. There were no helicopters hovering above, no cars following him, no bodyguards....just Pepe.

The same thing would happen in the U.S.A., right? Riiiiiiiiiight.

The shot...Pepe Mujica!
Torta Frita...half-eaten...whoops


the desfile/parade!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario