sábado, 13 de febrero de 2010

carnaval!

We have a five day weekend this week because of carnaval. Since we Americans do not really celebrate carnaval, what most likely comes to mind when you hear about the holiday is Brazil and the half naked (or basically completely naked) glittery women that dance samba in the street. Well, that is one example of carnaval, but here in Ecuador they have their own set of traditions – traditions of which I feel free to comment on as I sit here writing this soaking wet. Here in Ecuador carnaval is celebrated with parades and parties and a non-stop celebration of “love and friendship” (as quoted on an invitation I just received to a carnaval party Sunday night). However, the tradition that the kids like most and that reminds everyone that carnaval has arrived is to “mojarse” aka get everyone wet and or messy. This can be done with water balloons, buckets of water, splashing water from a sink, squirt guns, etc…and then you are reminded of how wet you are when flour, egg and silly string are added to the mix.

So to “jugar carnaval” here in Ecuador all you really need it water. So basically everyone is fair game to play and get played. This past Thursday school was shortened to a half-day in order to play carnaval with the students. I had heard about the “traditions” and thus came prepared…with silly string, eggs (one of which I cracked on the school director’s head), flours, and water balloons (which I woke up extra early to fill). By the end of the almost two hour “play-time” I looked like a drowning ghost: absolutely drenched with flour plastered all over my arms, face and hair. I think I still have some flour in my ear.

Tomorrow I am headed to Baños, the hopping tourist town 45 minutes down the mountain from El Triunfo, to watch the parade (and call my Mommy to wish her a Feliz Cumpleaños) and Sunday I am headed to Ambato (the biggest city within a two hour distance from El Triunfo) to watch the even bigger parade and rodeo.

¡Vive carnval!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario